In this chaotic and fast-paced world, there are lots of things to worry about. However, you should always slow down and reflect every once in a while.
I practice gratitude daily as a part of my routine, and it has dramatically improved my mental health and outlook on life. Doesn’t matter how tough you think things are right now, there are always things to be thankful for.
As an engineer, I am thankful for many things. This will be a neverending list if I tried listing them all, so I’m only listing a few of them here.
- Life — Life is fickle. It is hard to give new life, but it can be taken away in an instant. Nothing else matters when life is on the line. So many are still fearing for their lives to this day, and many more are facing the decision between life and death. You’re lucky to be alive.
- Rights — We’ve come a long way since the days of empires and slavery. Yet, there are still many who are struggling for their basic human rights and freedoms to this day. It takes blood and sweat to earn your rights and freedoms, but easy to be taken away. Appreciate your rights and freedoms.
- Privilege — No matter how tough you think you have it, there are many who are doing worse than you right now. Everyone is privileged in one way or the other. Most of you still have a roof over your head, food to eat, and don’t have to constantly worry about life. You can speak freely and make choices.
- Choice — Having the ability to choose is a privilege. Many people are forced into things as they have no other choice. Many are born into a life that they did not choose. Many have the key life decisions made for them already (career, marriage, etc.). Consider yourself lucky if you can choose how you want to live your life.
- Thought — It’s easier than ever to access information and knowledge. You are taught how to learn, think, and express. Most importantly, you have the freedom to express your thinking, speak your mind, and let the world hear your voice. It’s a privilege that many people still don’t have to this day.
- Parents — You simply don’t exist without your parents. They gave you the greatest gift of all — your life. No matter how much you despise them or disagree with them, you owe them big time. Put down the barriers and make peace with them. Treat them well.
- Teachers — Everyone in this world can be your teacher. You are not you without those teachers and mentors.
- Friendships — The self-made man is a myth. Nobody is truly self-made. Everyone belongs to society and is shaped by their peers.
- Knowledge — Science, technology, cultures, languages, history, you name it. We have more knowledge now than ever, and it is now more accessible than ever.
- Engineers—Scientists discovered the world, but engineers translated things into reality and built the world that we live in today.
- Talents — Everyone has gifts whether you like it or not. Discover them and use them to your advantage. Use your talents to do some greater good for this universe.
- Hope — Civilization would not exist if not for our hope. It is what keeps us living and going forward, and it is what keeps the human race progressing.
- Luck — No matter how much you want to deny it, luck plays a huge role in everyone’s lives. Many people work hard and get nowhere. Appreciate any luck you have and don’t take things for granted.
- God — Whether you believe in Him or not, there is undeniably a greater being outside of the physical world we live in. You cannot create existence out of nothingness. You cannot create order out of pure chaos. There is a force that has created our very existence and maintains our orderliness.
Take a step back, reflect, and give back to the world. Everyone has this gift.